I spent a full one hour on this thing just because of an update to the latest iTunes version @#$!@$%. I’m sharing what I have found that solved my problem and I hope it could help others as well because it was really a pain in the neck.
I followed these instructions from the Apple Support Communities. Big thanks!
Reinstalling the “Apple Mobile Device USB Driver”.
- Open Control Panel (Win+Q, search for Control Panel in Windows 8)
- Search for “Device Manager” and open it.
- Look for “Apple Mobile Device USB Driver” either under Other Devices or Universal Serial Bus controllers.
- Right click on that and “Update Driver Software”
- I chose to browse my computer and went to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers
- I picked the file usbaapl64 and installled that.
My iPod appeared in my iTunes Devices list again. Boom.
Mind you, before I found this solution I did all the uninstall, reinstall, delete Temp stuff and Googled my eye off for possible solutions to try. This worked for me. I hope it does for you, too. Or better yet, you didn’t get any trouble at all. Lucky you.