Notes and thoughts about the book Creative Confidence: Unleashing the creative potential within us all by Tom Kelley and David Kelley of IDEO.
The Heart of Innovation
“Creative confidence is a way of seeing that potential and your place in the world more clearly, unclouded by anxiety and doubt.”
- Believe that you can make a dent in the universe – start with a growth mindset; perseverance and hard work always pay off. Overcome fear. Be brave.
- Dare to start. Do more. Fail fast, learn faster. Avoid perfectionism as it hinders creativity. Let things flow.
- Spark, be inspired. Inspiration can come from different sources – your customers, your community, your knowledge of things. Know when and how to harness these sources. Change favors the prepared mind.
- Learn by doing. Just start something and experiment more (and cheaply). Create prototypes and make mistakes early (fail fast). Don’t just think. Do.
- Seek for your true calling, Own your career. You don’t have to stay where you are. Always learn new skills and grow. Find work that is intrinsically rewarding, something that makes you get up in the morning. Have courage to write your life differently.
- Create a safe environment that allows creativity to flow. Leadership cannot create culture, it can only nurture it. Start multidisciplinary teams. These are important ingredients in creating and nurturing innovation.
- Practice, practice, practice. Nothing beats hands-on experience. Theory is not enough. An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory. Try the following tools: Mind Mapping, Empathy Maps, Journey Maps, “I like/ I wish”, and Thirty Circles.
- Start designing your new life. Have courage to speak up and take risks. You have always been creative. You are an artist in your own right.